Our work

We are able to assist and represent anyone who has a “family” law dispute. We try to solve matters by negotiation and agreement first, but if that is not possible, we can appear in Court with you.

Meeting with us

At McWilliam Tyree we will ensure that you have clarity throughout the legal process, starting with our legal fees and what you can expect.

We appreciate that seeking legal advice can be a daunting experience. Knowing where to turn for reliable advice can be bewildering, often combined by uncertainty over costs.

McWilliam Tyree is committed to providing high quality, competitively priced legal advice and services. The right advice at the right time can make all the difference in achieving the best possible outcome. To make sure you feel confident in seeking legal advice, we will discuss our costs with you from the outset.

Our services

We act for clients both in this country and overseas in the New Zealand jurisdiction.

Contracting Out Agreements

The purpose of a contracting out agreement (commonly known as as “pre-nups”) is for you and your partner to decide how you wish to own your property and divide it if you separate, especially if don’t want the usual rules under the relationship property legislation to apply to you. While completing an agreement, we can also draft Wills and Powers of Attorney for you.

Separation Issues

Separation is a difficult time and many issues suddenly become extremely urgent, including occupation of the family home, division of relationship property, childcare arrangements, and financial support.

Division of Relationship Property

We can assist you with working out the division of property after the end of a relationship, including valuing assets, preparing separation agreements, and if necessary, using the Family Court to resolve property issues.

Childcare Issues

We can help resolve disputes about arrangements for the care of children. Along with care arrangements, this may include paternity, relocation, guardianship disputes and safety concerns.

Hague Convention and Border Alerts

If you think that your child, or children, are about to be taken out of the country without your consent, we can obtain a Border Alert within an hour. If your child, or children, has already been taken out of New Zealand without your knowledge or consent, you need to contact us immediately.

Family Violence

We can provide urgent assistance if you need help, including obtaining Protection Orders. If there is urgency, a Protection Order can be obtained within a day.

Spousal Maintenance and Child Support

We can advise you about spousal maintenance and child support issues, help with IRD administrative reviews, and prepare applications to the Family Court if agreements can’t be reached about spousal maintenance or child support.


This is officially called “dissolution”. We can either help you prepare your own application, or do the whole thing for you. We can arrange for it to be served on your ex-partner if necessary.

Protection of Personal and Property Rights (PPPR) and Capacity Issues

If you are concerned that someone you know has lost the ability to make decisions for themselves, and that person does not have an Enduring Power of Attorney, we can assist in preparing applications to the Court to appoint one or more people to make decisions for the person.

We can also assist in the review of such orders, or in addressing concerns which might arise as part of such orders.


We can assist you if you wish to adopt a child, or if you wish to get advice about the effect of agreeing to your child being adopted.

Change of Sex on Birth Certificate

If you are a transgender person, and want to change the sex recorded on your birth certificate, then we can help you prepare your application to the Court.

If your issue is not on our list, please check with us as it may still be something that we can help with.